The Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 is a part of Samsung new business-orientated tablet line and a direct rival to the iPad mini 2. With a stunning 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution display, the smallest of the three new Tab PRO models pairs its premium specs sheet with the company’s new Magazine UX interface. The tablet is also available in 10.1 and 12.2-inch forms. Finalised pricing is yet to be announced, but a Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 release date has been set for the latter part of Q1 2014.
Quick to take a gamble, Samsung is trying a new size again but this time around it’s not what you would call a vacant niche that the Koreans are to develop. The Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has the scene set for its arrival by the LG G Pad 8.3 but it’s actually two generations of iPad minis that the new Samsung slate is keener to meet.
Is there a bit of arrogance in that? Well, there may be but the new Pro lineup means business like never before. It isn’t just a hardware upgrade hiding behind the same old Android/TouchWIz combo either. The Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 is vying to put Samsung’s compact range of tablets back on the map – done playing second fiddle to the Notes.
Samsung has completely redesigned the TouchWiz user interface with a brand new homescreen and notification area, a new way of handling widgets, advanced multi-tasking with multi-view and floating apps. There’s even a new business-grade office package. And although there is still Android KitKat below the magazine-like UI, the whole thing feels fresh and new.
- Optional 3G/LTE modem with quad-band GSM, tri-band HSPA and hexa-band LTE-A connectivity
- 8.4″ 16M-color Super Clear PLS capacitive touchscreen of 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution
- Quad-core Krait 400 processor at 2.3GHz, Adreno 330 GPU; Snapdragon 800 chipset
- 2GB of RAM
- Android OS v4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
- One of a kind split-screen multitasking and pop-up mini apps
- 16/32 GB of built-in memory
- 8 MP autofocus camera, 3264×2448 pixels, geo-tagging
- 1080p video recording @30fps
- 2MP front-facing camera; 1080p videos
- Side-mounted stereo speakers
- Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Direct, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Stereo Bluetooth v4.0
- HDMI TV-out (adapter required), USB host (adapter required), Ethernet (adapter required)
- microSD card slot
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Infrared port
- GPS with A-GPS support; GLONASS, digital compass
- Accelerometer, three-axis Gyroscope sensor
- Professional office document editor suite preinstalled
- microUSB port with MHL and USB On-The-Go support
- 4,800mAh Li-Ion battery
- No NFC
- Relatively poor audio and video codec support (no DivX and AC3 audio)
There is little the Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 fails to provide, and it will make up for it with great software and usability skills. There are so many new features and improvements over the old version of TouchWiz that we can’t wait to show you everything.